Tooth decay in kids also known as earlier childhood cavities is the most common gum disease happening in adolescence. Tooth decay forms when the first erupted tooth because of corrosive that is delivered by sugar fermenting bacteria.
Even though they are temporary, your kid’s first teeth are significant and are still sensitive to cavities. Tooth decay in babies and toddlers is termed as Baby Bottle Tooth Decay or Early Childhood Caries. Kids need solid, sound teeth to bite their food, talk and have a beautiful smile. Their first teeth besides help ensure that adult teeth come correctly. It’s imperative to establish good oral hygiene habits in their earlier years to ensure that their teeth are protected and grow stronger for their coming adult life.
We have recorded all the information we could collect to help parents and caregivers about tooth decay, its signs and how they can prevent it.
What causes baby bottle tooth decay?
The most common teeth the cavities are seemed to target are upper front teeth, but other teeth might also get affected.
There are numerous factors which can cause tooth decay. One common reason is the continuous exposure of the baby’s teeth to drinks that contain high sugar. Tooth decay can happen when the baby sleeps with a bottle, or when a bottle is used as a pacifier for a fussy baby.
Tooth decay is an infection that can induce growth of cavity-causing bacteria being passed from the mother (or primary parental) to the newborn child. These bacteria can travel through saliva and also when the mother puts the baby’s spoon in her mouth or cleans a pacifier, the tiny bacterias can be passed to the baby.
In the event that your baby doesn’t get an adequate measure of fluoride, moreover, they can have an increased chance for tooth decay. Fortunately, tooth decay is preventable.
One of the reasons is that milk is served throughout the day including bedtime and naptime. It should only be given with meals not during bedtime.
Although long and frequent breastfeeding alone is not the reason for breastfeeding, all breastfeeding mothers should follow oral hygiene, fluoride, preventive dental care, and a healthy diet.
So how do you prevent baby bottle tooth decay in your child?
- Make an effort to keep things like spoons or pacifiers that you use to feed your baby with and even restrict sharing the same spoons used by you. After each feeding, wipe your kid’s gums with a perfect, sodden cloth cushion or washcloth.
- When your child’s first teeth erupt, brush them delicately with a kid-size toothbrush and a smear (or grain of rice estimated measure) of fluoride toothpaste until the age of 3.
- Brush the teeth with a pea-sized measure of fluoride toothpaste from the ages of 3 to 6.
- Assist them until they can spit and not swallow toothpaste—typically not before the person in question is 6 or 7.
- Refrain from filling the bottle with fluids, for example, sugar water, juice or sodas.
- Newborn babies should complete their sleep time and rest time bottles before going the sleep
- If your kid uses a pacifier, give a normal one—don’t dunk it in sugar or nectar.
- Urge your kid to drink from a cup by his/her first birthday celebration.
It’s never past the point where you cannot break bad habits. If your child drinks sugary liquids from the bottle or potentially lays down with a bottle, break out of the habit as it is a potential reason that your baby might get tooth decay:
- Progressively reducing the bottle substance with water for more than 2 to 3 weeks.
- When that period is finished, fill it with only water.
Healthy baby teeth will lead to healthy permanent teeth. For any queries on children, dentistry visit us on https://rajkotdentist.com/blog/
We make smiles beautiful!
A healthy smile and better well-being, all start at City Dental Hospital. Experience the highest dental healthcare standards with state-of-the-art technology, and durable bio-friendly materials that focus on all preventive, painless, and cosmetic dental procedures in Rajkot at City Dental Hospital. With our years of experience, we are committed to providing patients with superior dental health and a complete range of services to give them the smile that they deserve.
At City Dental Hospital, the top Dental Hospital in Gujarat, we offer flexible timing, individual attention, affordability, accurate explanation of treatments, and excellent patient care. Here, we follow strict and stringent hygiene protocols.
If you also want to change something about your smile, consider dental veneers.
If you want to know more about oral thrush or dental tips, follow us on: